Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Awe Ma, Do I have To Go??

It was an after the Holidays holiday party where my mom worked.  I was still living at home and was in a dating slump, if you will, and sulking.  Unbeknownst to me, my mother asked her boss if she could bring an additional guest(me).  That afternoon of the shindig, she tells me to get off my ass and start getting ready.  I was like "for what"?  She said you're going to the holiday party with your father and I, end of story.  My mom was never one you'd want to piss off, tiny physically disabled(though she never played that card, ever) Polish woman.  She broke a wooden spoon on my sister's butt once.....ONCE!!  I huffed off, grumbled all the while getting ready.  I don't even remember what I wore, a dress I think.  Threw myself together and off we went.  I have to admit it, once we got there and I relaxed, it wasn't too bad.  I knew most of the people my mom worked with so it wasn't like I was among strangers.  After dinner, when the dancing began, a young gentleman came over to talk to her.  He sort of looked familiar, but I just couldn't pinpoint where I knew him from.  They chatted a while and then he came over to me.  I was like, what the hell?? Was my mom playing matchmaker or something?  I looked over to her and she just winked.  I rolled my eyes and turned back to this young gentleman.  He introduced himself and then it hit me as to where I knew him from.  He was the son of a very well-known milkman in the area where we lived and had even delivered milk to our house.  We chatted for what seemed hours, had a few drinks...he even came to dance with my mom and I.  His awkwardness was incredibly sincere and adorable.  As the evening was coming to a close, a coworker of my mom's motioned(to me) to give him my number.  I didn't have a pen, so she handed me a brand new tube of lipstick.  It wrote incredibly clear on the square paper napkin.  I gave it to him and said to call me.  He walked me to our car(I drove with my parents), my mom and dad walking slowly behind us.  He told me 'thank you' and gave me the biggest hug I have ever received and he got into his truck and drove away.  Getting into our car, my mother had the biggest, shit-eating grin on her face.  I'm guessing, she thought "mission accomplished".  Little did I know...............

No comments:

Post a Comment